The community of Auburn is centered in the heart of Nemaha County. The towns of Calvert and Sheridan merged in 1883 to become the town of Auburn. A shift in economic emphasis brought the county seat to Auburn from Brownville. Community leaders made the decision to locate the courthouse at the top of the hill in the Calvert area but Courthouse Avenue was built to connect the two areas with the hope that the two former towns would unite. The Avenue remains today as the link between North Auburn and South Auburn.
The Nemaha Valley Museum displays the history of the area in two buildings near the historic Nemaha County Courthouse. The museum also has the genealogy history of Nemaha County.
The Auburn Post Office is where the famous painting “Thresher” is located. The mural inside the lobby was a project of President Roosevelt in the 1930’s and only 12 post offices in the state were granted to be the recipient of a mural. The goal was to enhance the fine arts to the general public. It was painted by Ethel Magafan.
The Sheridan Cemetery on the west side of the city also has historic distinction. The chapel was built in 1904 and in the same area is a Civil War cannon that was used in many battles by the Union Army.
Legion Memorial Park was designated a National Historic Park Site because of its unusual structures within the park. The park was developed as one of the WPA projects of President Roosevelt and the construction began in the 1930’s. The material used throughout the park was the red granite boulders found in Nemaha County quarries. The bandstand is still in use today for church services, special events and music concerts. The gazebo offers a beautiful setting for weddings. The rock creek dissects the park and the rock bridges were originally designed to accommodate horse and buggy travel. The park also holds the city’s swimming pool, basketball and tennis courts. Within the park is the Nemaha County Veteran’s Memorial dedicated in the spring of 2011. The names of more than 1,000 veterans are carved into the black granite structure.
The Nemaha County Fair attracts many visitors in the summer for three days of fair filled events including carnival rides, entertainment and two parades.
Legion Memorial Park is the site of the Nemaha County Veterans Memorial dedicated May 30, 2011. The names of over 1000 Veterans are carved into the black granite on one side and murals depicting scenes from the Civil War to present times are on the opposite side of the black granite tablets.
Water Feature in Legion Park. An Eagle Scout project unearthed a large iron fly wheel that had been on a Steam Engine that provided electricity for the City of Auburn in 1928. The wheel had been brought to the park and made into a lily pond. It was eventually filled with dirt and weeds. The Eagle Scout project researched the history of the wheel, installed a bronze plaque on a large granite rock designating the historic significance, dug out the wheel, installed a retaining wall around the wheel and brought it back to be a reflecting pond and water feature . The planting of perennials in the area make it a beautiful place to sit and relax.
The Auburn Recreational Complex is well known as one of the best in the State. Since the Complex was built in 2001 it has been in constant use hosting State and Regional ball tournaments. The Complex also features a large picnic shelter house for family gatherings and a RV Park that compliments the entire area.
Auburn was founded in 1883 from two distinct towns named Calvert and Sheridan. When the County Seat was moved to Auburn from Brownville the business men of Auburn decided to connect the two town with a street called Courthouse Avenue. The Avenue remains today as the link between North Auburn and South Auburn. auburn.ne.gov. One mile East of Auburn on Highway 136 is a State Historical Marker for the Half Breed Tract. This tract was located between the Great and Little Nemaha Rivers. It was the custom for many early fur traders to marry into Indian tribes. As the Indians ceded their lands, the rights of the half-breed descendants were not always identified. This situation was recognized by the government in 1830, by the Prarie Du Chien Treaty which set aside a tract of land for the half-breeds of the Oto, Iowa, Omaha and Santee Sioux Tribes.
Auburn Country Club Golf Course. 2 miles South of Auburn on Highway 75. Nine hole course, grass greens, 2,940 yards, par 35. Auburn has the distinct honor of having an airplane navigated by Leut. Bahl of Humboldt and a passenger named Charles Lindbergh, land on number six fairway in 1922. They were seeking permission to give airplane rides at the Nemaha County Fair. The number six fairway is now known as Lindbergh Fairway.
Rotary Lake sits on the North edge of Auburn and provides fishing experiences for the young and old. The primary fish in the lake are blue gill, catfish, carp, and trout. A concrete walking trail around the lake provides a safe place for walking, year around.
The community of Auburn is the hub for industry and shopping in the Nemaha County area: Auburn Community Guide